Monday, Jan 13, 2014
Geography Bee administered. Top scorers may go on to compete within the school. Absent students may make up if they are interested in competing. They need to inform Miss B.
Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014
Continue discussion of What is a Civilization?
Finish recording Maya/U.S. civilizations comparison list.
Look up definitions of civilization, share aloud and Miss B records similarities.
Watch Horrible Histories Stone Age City video and list the components of what makes a city.
Look over all the information and construct a definition for civilization. Record definition of civilization on Time Traveler's Terms Google doc.
civilization: A group of people living in a specific place and time period who share a common culture and language and have achieved an advanced stage of development and organization with a complex system of towns & cities and the surrounding rural areas.
Civilization origin: comes from the Latin word "civis," meaning "citizen” or someone who lives in a town or city.
Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014
1. Job Specialization. Agriculture leads to an abundance of surplus food which leads to division of labor/types of livelihoods. This gives rise to trade and develops an economic system
2. Urbanization: Large population centers - cities settlement patterns
3. Social structure: The division of people into social classes. May be divided by income or type of work performed.
4. Government: way to organize/manage territory and the needs of its citizens
5. Religion - organized belief structures
6. Written language and record keeping
7.Cultural achievements - Unique styles of arts and architecture, advances in science and technology
These are the characteristic categories we will use to compare the Aztec and Inca civilizations. We will fill out the categories for each civilization on Inspiration (graded by rubric!) You will get your information from your TCI textbook and one video for each civilization.
Thursday, Jan 16, 2014
Map the Maya, Aztec and Inca territories. Consult TCI textbook MAYA Chapter "Setting the Stage" section.
Friday, Jan 17, 2014
Read "Setting the Stage" page
Complete saving and renaming Aztec and Inca Inspiration files.
Mark timeline on Aztec Inspiration
Google Earth overlay if time allows