Review Edmodo and begin TT Avatar
Tuesday, Sept 3 thru Friday, Sept 6.
The following mission will be accomplished from Tues-Thursday.
Friday is picture day during Social Studies class.
Creating your Time Traveler Avatar and machine/device
The learning for this mission includes: tech skills, writing skills, following instructions and work completion in a timely manner.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- Create a word doc,
- Title it, Time Traveler Profile
- SAVE in SS folder in Google Drive
At the very end of this mission description, you will see how to set up the document. You will put all of your work into a Word Document except for the drawing (you will need to turn that in separately) The Word document will need to be uploaded to Edmodo by Friday. You may need to work on this at home. If you do not have internet, get a hard copy of the instructions. You will still be able to describe
Watch the video below. Watch it again if necessary.
Miss B will read through all the directions you see below the video.
This week your mission will be to create your Time Traveler avatar and time machine/device. The purpose of creating a Time Traveler character and machine is to help you imagine what it might have been like to live during the historical events and times that we will be studying this year. Your Time Traveler will help you tell what you have learned about the great gains and losses during the creation of the United States.
This mission is broken into three parts, but be aware that you may work on them in any order that makes sense to you.
Part 1 Time machine/device instructions
Your Time machine or device may be any object you want; just be sure that you will be able to fully describe how it works. It might be a good idea to create a machine or device that makes sense with your Avatar. This means you may want to think about both ideas simultaneously (together) so they match and make sense.
This is especially important because you will be required to write an Avatar profile including a description of your Time Traveler Avatar, the machine or device and the backstory for both. The backstory must include how your Time Traveler either found or created their machine or device. You must also detail either why they created the device or if they found it, how they found it and what happened when they realized what it was.
Part 2 Avatar instructions
- Your Avatar may be YOU, a version of you or purely fantastical/made-up BUT it must be human.
- No military, or violent characters of any kind and of course, no weapons. They can look somewhat tough, but they may not BE tough or violent.
- Must have ONLY school appropriate outfits and props.
- Ways to make an avatar
- Original drawing. You will need to take a photo of it - you should be able to do this with your Mac, or scan it (you’ll have to find one of those for yourself) and save the image as a jpeg file.
- A game character so long as it meets the above guidelines. In order to capture your avatar, you may take a single screen shot, or shoot a video 20 second or less in duration. You may select a prop or vehicle in the game to serve as your time machine (like Miss B's flying train) If you choose the video game character and/or device option, be prepared to do the work at home. During class time, you can spend your time writing your avatar’s profile.
- There are a multitude of avatar makers. I have reviewed a lot of them and many I found were not suitable for school. I have listed several that I would recommend you choose from which are all free.. If you want to use one not on the list, please check with me first for approval. Some may require that you create an account. If so, please, please, please use your school/google account username and password so you remember it! Some of these avatar makers have a download feature and others require that you take a screenshot. I have noted the ones that require a screenshot - they are listed at the end. If you cannot tell how to save, let me know.
- BE PREPARED TO COMPLETE YOUR AVATAR IN ONE PERIOD SINCE MANY OF THESE DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO SAVE TO COME BACK TO WORK ON LATER. SO DON’T WASTE TIME!. or DO IT AT HOME WHEN YOU HAVE MORE TIME. BE SURE TO SAVE your avatar in your Google Drive SS folder!
- One last word, remember to not get carried away and forget the purpose of your character - it is your Time Traveler!
- Avatar makers below and also available in theTool Cabinet/Gadgets&Gizmos
- http://www.faceyourmanga.com/ with video tutorial
- http://unique.rasterboy.com/ cannot access at school - might be able to at home.
- Hipster boy
- Hipster girl
- Be careful with the following one - remember you are a human time traveler http://www.ageofgames.net/en/fantasyavatar/fantasy-avatar.html
- http://www.reasonablyclever.com/mm2/mini2.swf - the only way to save is with a screen grab.
- http://hapuriainen.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-trainer-dress-up-125433419 you will have to take a screen shot to save.
- http://www.reasonablyclever.com/mini/flash/minifig.swf looks like a lego character you will have to take a screen shot to save.
- http://www.voki.com/ Voki can record a short message and be embedded in a website which you are welcome to do. However, for this mission, you will need to just take a screenshot of your voki avatar.
Video below. Hold down: Shift then Command and then the number 4
Time Traveler Description Be brief. You do not have to use full sentences.
Time Travel Machine or Device
1. Drawing of the device. Be as detailed as you can. You may need to draw a series of pictures to show it completely. For instance, the outside, the inside, any close-ups. If necessary - label the parts.
2. On the same sheet of paper, describe how it works - be specific! How do you get where and when you want to go?
Write a journal/diary entry. You MUST use full sentences.
- Introduce your Time Traveler. Pretend this is your first journal/diary entry. Tell who you are and why you are writing the journal. Note: as we take our travels back in time, our Time Traveler will be writing journal entries describing what he/she has seen, experienced and learned.
- Tell how your Time Traveler either found or created their machine or device.
- Tell why they created the device or if they found it, how they found it and what happened when they realized what it was.
WORD DOCUMENT FORMAT:
Simply copy and paste the following onto your word doc. Be sure to remember to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!
Time Traveler Profile Name___________________________Period_____
My Time Traveler Avatar (insert image below)
My Time Traveler description:
My Time Travel machine/device description:
My Time Traveler backstory: